After multiple pregnancies, many women find that the skin on their abdomen doesn’t return to normal due to a loss of natural elasticity. Additionally, people who have undergone significant weight loss often see that years of obesity have stretched the skin beyond its ability to respond to a slimmed-down figure. In these cases, the tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, can effectively smooth, flatten, and contour the midsection to create an elegant feminine physique.
The Dr. Shuster Approach
Serving Fort Lauderdale, Miami and South Florida
Dr. Shuster wants to give his patients as beautiful a silhouette as their bodies will allow without leaving any obvious signs of surgery. He is able to accomplish this through an obsessive attention to detail. A tummy tuck can leave a long scar, so he is particular about placing the incision within the body’s natural contours, where it can be easily concealed by bikini bottoms or panties.
He is able to achieve the flattest profile by tightening the abdominal muscles and removing any lingering fat with liposuction, sculpting the midsection and creating a balanced figure. Dr. Shuster also puts special focus on creating the most natural looking belly button possible. Be sure to call (954) 961-5500 today to determine whether you are your personalized Tummy Tuck consult!
Tummy Tuck Options
Depending on his thorough assessment of your unique body type and goals, Dr. Shuster may recommend a full tummy tuck to address the entire abdominal region, a less invasive mini tummy tuck if your primary area of concern is below the belly button, or a modified abdominoplasty if you experience mild to moderate muscle weakness and skin laxity in the abdominal region.
A tummy tuck is the best way to restore a flat, smooth, taut abdomen after experiencing excess fat, sagging skin, and protruding stomach muscles. Exercise can help reduce fat, but it unfortunately cannot do anything about sagging skin. It cannot always help with muscles that have been distended from pregnancy or weight fluctuations.
If you are dissatisfied with your abdominal area even after leading a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a stable weight, an abdominoplasty may be right for you. This procedure can produce dramatic results, and our patients feel much better about themselves after having it done.
If you are interested in learning more about the tummy tuck procedure and want to see if you would be a candidate, we welcome you to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Shuster. We serve patients in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and other nearby areas of South Florida.
“Doctor Shuster and all his staff are wonderful, so warming and welcoming. They truly make you feel great from the first day to the day of surgery even after surgery. Doctor Shuster is the best plastic surgeon.”
A Few Facts About the Tummy Tuck
- A tummy tuck typically takes two or three hours to complete.
- It can be performed on its own or as part of a mommy makeover.
- Shuster may also use liposuction to achieve the desired abdominal contours.
The Dr. Shuster Difference
Dr. Shuster is a third-generation, board-certified plastic surgeon. His expertise, attention to detail, and patient-centered approach provide a highly personalized experience and unsurpassed results.
Twenty years of experience is evident in every tummy tuck Dr. Shuster performs. His degree of detail, subtlety, and naturalness makes the tummy tuck noticeable, but never obvious.
Like all the surgical procedures Dr. Shuster performs, it is beautiful results that have gained him a reputation for excellence throughout South Florida. To see his results for yourself, please visit our tummy tuck before and after gallery.
A Personalized Approach
During the consultation, Dr. Shuster will carefully examine your levels of skin laxity, excess fat, and muscle tone. He will design an approach that best addresses these concerns to match your personal goals for a contoured abdomen.
Dr. Shuster performs his surgeries at Memorial Regional Hospital South. His team has been with him for over 14 years and he has chosen them based on their excellence and expertise.
Tummy Tuck Before & After Photos
What You Need to Know
- What Is a Tummy Tuck?
- Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck
- Types of Tummy Tuck
- Who Is a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
- Your Tummy Tuck Procedure
- Recovery After a Tummy Tuck
- How Long Do Tummy Tuck Results Last?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure designed to smooth and flatten the abdominal area. During the procedure, Dr. Shuster will remove excess skin and fat as well as tighten the abdominal muscles if needed.
Tummy tucks are most popular among post-childbirth women. Having children can be incredibly rewarding, but it can also wreak havoc on your body. Many women end up with sagging skin, stretch marks, protruding muscles, and fat that is difficult to lose.
Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck
Liposuction and abdominoplasty are both procedures that surgically contour the body, and some people are unsure which is better for their situation. The differences between the two procedures are as follows:
- Liposuction is designed to remove small, stubborn areas of fat from all over the body. It’s most commonly used for patients who want to lose a few inches in their abdomen, thighs, back, love handles, or another area. Liposuction does not address loose skin or protruding muscles.
- A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is a more extensive procedure that corrects loose skin, protruding muscles, and excess fat in the abdominal area. Dr. Shuster sometimes performs liposuction along with a tummy tuck in order to create a better contour, as liposuction is better for smaller, more precise adjustments.
During your consultation, Dr. Shuster will thoroughly examine you and listen to your concerns in order to formulate the best treatment option. He will also be happy to answer any questions you have.
Types of Tummy Tuck
Dr. Shuster performs different types of tummy tucks depending on your individual needs. The three main types of tummy tucks are:
- Mini Abdominoplasty: This is the procedure of choice for women whose primary concern is laxity of underlying muscles and tissue causing a lower abdominal bulge, but who don’t have a lot of excess, hanging skin. During a mini tummy tuck, Dr. Shuster creates a short incision at the level of the pubic area. He then tightens the lax muscles and removes excess fat and tissue, creating a flatter appearance.
- Modified Abdominoplasty: This procedure treats patients who have a moderate amount of skin laxity over the lower abdomen. An incision is made across the lower abdomen, which allows Dr. Shuster to remove excess skin and tighten abdominal muscles at the same time.
- Abdominoplasty: Shuster uses a technique called a “high lateral tension abdominoplasty” to perform extensive, full tummy tucks on patients who have a significant amount of laxity all over the abdomen. He’ll make an incision across the lower abdomen as well as around the belly button, which allows him to fully rejuvenate the abdominal area. He will narrow your waist, tighten your muscles, and remove excess skin for the most comprehensive and dramatic results.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
The best candidates for a tummy tuck are already close to their ideal weight, but have loose skin and weakened abdominal muscles. In addition, good tummy tuck candidates:
- Do not smoke
- Are in good general health
- Are finished having children
- Are able to maintain a stable, healthy weight
- Understand the risks and have realistic expectations
Having a tummy tuck will not interfere with your ability to have children later on. However, we suggest you wait until you are finished having children before having the procedure done. This is because undergoing another pregnancy and childbirth May reverse some of the benefits of the abdominoplasty.
In addition, you should be able to maintain a healthy, stable weight so that your results last as long as possible. Gaining a significant amount of weight can detract from your results.
Your Tummy Tuck Procedure
Dr, Shuster performs tummy tuck surgeries under general anesthesia in the hospital, and generally take two to three hours to perform. You may be able to go home after the procedure, or he may recommend that you stay overnight.
During your procedure, Dr. Shuster will create an incision just below the bikini line. He will keep the incision as short as possible to the best results. Through this incision, he can tighten the stomach muscles, remove excess fat, and excise loose skin. He will then perform three layers of sutures, all of which are under the skin and dissolve on their own. This triple layer suture method helps to ensure the finest possible scar.
Recovery After a Tummy Tuck
After your tummy tuck, you should take time to rest and recover. We’ll prescribe pain medications to help with any pain or discomfort, which you should take as needed. When taking pain medications, you will not be able to drive or be responsible for another person’s care.
We recommend enlisting someone to help around the house and with childcare after your tummy tuck, as you will need time to just relax without exerting yourself. You shouldn’t lift anything heavy for the first few weeks, including a small child.
Each patient will recover differently, at their own pace, but in general tummy tuck recovery looks something like this:
- First week: Rest, recover, try not to do too much physical activity besides walking around
- Second or third week: Return to work if you feel capable, resume light everyday tasks
- Four to six weeks: Return to full activity and exercise, still taking care not to strain the abdominal area
If you have any questions or concerns during your recovery, you can always call Dr. Shuster’s office. We will be by your side throughout your recovery, as we are committed to each patient’s health, wellbeing, and satisfaction with their results.
How Long Do Tummy Tuck Results Last?
The results of a tummy tuck can last forever with proper maintenance. However, if you gain a significant amount of weight or children, you may find that it undoes some of the benefits of the surgery. This is why We encourage our patients to maintain a healthy life style and regular exercise.
Schedule Your Complimentary Tummy Tuck Consultation Today
If you are interested in an abdominoplasty with Dr. Shuster, we invite you to contact our office for a complimentary consultation. Call (954) 961-5500 today or fill out our appointment request form below. We serve patients in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and other nearby areas of South Florida and offer virtual online consultations for patients out of the country.